New Me!

New Me!

Friday, July 26, 2013

July 22, 2013 - It's been awhile!

July 26, 2013 - I think the last time I've posted anything was back in Feb 2013.  Sorry for that but I've been rather busy.  Since February, I've made a major change in my life - I've retired from 30 years at Mayo Clinic on July 12, 2013.  After my year long journey with breast cancer in 2012 and getting back to working fulltime earlier this year plus all the 'crap' that is going on at work, I didn't need the stress any longer.  I am grateful that I was eligible to retire and grateful that my family supported my decision.  After being 2 weeks into retirement mode, I'm really liking it!  But let’s see once the pay checks stop coming :(  Don and I have decided to defer my pension payments for as long as we can, maybe 5 years or until Don decides to retire which my be in 7-8 years...we'll see how living on ONE income works out. 

I had my 6 month recheck with Dr. Tim (oncologist) back in June 2013 and everything looked ok as far as my health...although I've had no labs since 12/2012 and no x-rays/MRI/Ultrasound since the fall of 2012 so I'm not sure how they know that everything is ok 'inside' my body.  Dr. Tim explained that he will do a physical exam on me every 3 months including checking my lymph nodes under my arms, etc.  He said that if I notice any changes in my health/body that last greater than 72 hours then he should be notified.  I don't know about you but wouldn't that be to late then??  I'm the kind of a person that likes preventative healthcare, not reactionary healthcare.  Seems odd, I know and it’s not like I don't have this conversation with him every 3 months.

I've also started with a chiropractor (Pratt Family Chiropractic) in February or March 2013, with prompting from my sister Mary, and had much success.  Besides doing adjustments on me they also focus on exercise to be fit, nutrition, and educating people on what is good to eat and what is not good to put into your body.  That was one area that Mayo did not offer any assistance with for cancer patients.  Mayo basically said to go back to the life you were living…well isn’t that what got me into this mess in the first place, so something had to change.  I’m having less back issues and feel less stressed (maybe that is because I’ve retiredJ).  I’m thankful to say that I’ve lost about 15lbs of chemo weight just by watching the foods I eat and exercising most days.  My goal is to lose about 20 more lbs., time will tell but I have great hope!

Benjamin update – he is now 16 months old!  He is crawling everywhere, climbing, standing, saying a few words and is FULL of life!  Don and I were privileged to take him to one of his physical therapy appointment this past Tuesday in Mankato.  He wears a little brace on his right leg and the therapist has him doing all sorts of things.  Walking on a treadmill, scooting around on a little horsey, and walking (with assistance) with a small walker, to name a few.  He has gained some function back in his right hip flexors and he moves his toes quite well.  They said the progress could/would be slow but he is still little and they say that Benjamin will be the one to want to move around on two feet….it’s up to you little boy and we are all there to rally round you!  Just knowing he has the Gerhart/Kramer genes in him, I’m positive that he has the determination!!  Nothing is going to hold him back!  We love you Benjamin with all our hearts!  Xoxoxoxoxo


Ben and his little friend Amelia!

Ben in his fort!

Ben 15 months old!

Baby Reisdorfer update – Marie is due the end of September – first part of October and is doing well.  She is 30 weeks along on Saturday and looking more glowing each day.  They found out that they will be having a baby girl so very excited about that!  She and baby are doing well.  Here is a picture of her at 28 weeks along.


Marie at 28 weeks (and Caption, her dog - not sure what's wrong with him!)
Back on Mothers Day 2013, Don, Marie and I went up to the Mall of America to walk in the Susan B. Komen walk for breast cancer awareness.  There were thousands of people there and very inspiring to see so many survivors! 


Don, me and Marie - Susan B. Komen walk at MOA


These are some of the surviors that were present.
July 2013, Cathy, my daughter-in-law was part of a team at the Mankato Relay for Life and invited Don and I to attend.  So Cathy, Bill, Ben, Don and I attended and walked the luminary trail. It was very inpiring to see all the luminaries with survivor names along with luminaries of people that have passed because of the dreaded disease.  Let's find a cure!

Mankato Relay for Life July 2013

The end of August Cathy, Bill, Ben, Don and I are heading up to northern Wisconsin for some R&R.  We will be staying at a cabin on the lake...so relaxing.  Can't wait!

Bye for now!
Kathy

1 comment:

  1. Hi. I just found your blog because my mother's name is Kathy Gerhart and I was surprised she would have had a blog. I googled her name because I'm going through my annual introspective time since she died from cervical cancer. This week is the third anniversary of her passing.Hi. I just found your blog because my mother's name is Kathy Gerhart and I was surprised she would have had a blog. I googled her name because I'm going through my annual introspective time since she died from cervical cancer. This week is the third anniversary of her passing.

    I think it's marvelous

    ReplyDelete