New Me!

New Me!

Thursday, September 6, 2012

September 5, 2012 - 50th birthday & 1st radiation treatment

September 5th - if you don't already know I CELEBRATED my 50th birthday on 9/5.  My sneaky little family decided to plan a little secret get-together instead of taking me to Outback for a delicious steak.  The plan that I knew was that we were going to Glynners for a drink and to say " hi" to Missy (one of the waitresses there), then on to Outback by 6:30 pm to get my birthday steak, then back to our house for DQ cake.  Now doesn't that sound like a nice low key 50th?!?!?  

Well, it didn't actually work out that way. We did make it to Glynners but to my surprise there were several of my family and Don's family members there and many co-workers, friends and old friends that I haven't seen in a while.  Wow, was I surprised!!  It was so good to see everyone! And it surely was a great 50th birthday...thank you all for taking the time to spend it with me!!!  A special thanks to all the sneaky people (you know who you are and payback is HE-double toothpicks!!!!) for making my day great!  Thanks to Bill for bringing Ben over to see me earlier that day.   Wished you could have stayed to see everyone!!  As I said last night 50 is great!!!!!

Today, 9/6, was my first radiation treatment. I went to Desk R in the Charlton building of Mayo Clinic with a little apprehension.  I was not sure if radiation was going to noticabley cause immediate hurt or pain to me or what since it was my first treatment.  The two techs were very nice and explained everything they were doing.  They took a couple of X-rays and radiated me a few times and I was there maybe only 20 minutes or so.  So far it was painless but I did go home and take a few hour nap...I'm not sure if it was the treatment or from all the excitement from last night.  They did say tiredness is one of the symptoms of radiation txs (treatments).  This was the first of 25 txs so here we go!  I'm on the downhill path of my cancer treatments/surgery journey and I'm looking forward to feeling a whole lot better in about a month or so when txs are completed.   I really do not want anymore surprises in regards to my health!  So here's to my health!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Kathy, I am so happy for you that you are finally at this point in your treatment. Other than tiredness, which is to be expected, I hope this last leg of your journey is clear sailing for you, and your wonderfully devoted family. You are amazing, in your attitude and perserverance. I am looking forward to a month from now, when the radiation is behind you, and you are back to doing all the things that bring you happiness!
    Teri Perez

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Kathy! Fifty is pretty nifty - as my aunt would say. Hope you had a great day with your friends and family. I have been following your remarkable blog and so glad to hear of your great progress. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete