New Me!

New Me!

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

June 12, 2012 - Another blood clot confirmed.

Learned today, Tuesday June 12th, that it was indeed another clot.  Now they want to go another blood test to see why I’m getting all these clots all of a sudden…is it because of the new chemo drugs that I’m on or the heparin shots that I just started giving myself starting last Friday. 

They are thinking I have Heparin-induced thrombocytopenia (HIT) which is the development of thrombocytopenia (a low platelet count), due to the administration of various forms of heparin, an anticoagulant. HIT predisposes to thrombosis, the abnormal formation of blood clots inside a blood vessel, and when thrombosis is identified the condition is called heparin-induced thrombocytopenia and thrombosis (HITT). HIT is caused by the formation of abnormal antibodies that activate platelets. If someone receiving heparin develops new or worsening thrombosis, or if the platelet count falls, HIT can be confirmed with specific blood tests.[1]
Test today for this at 12:30.  Plus I have another Neupogen shot right after.
Should be an interesting day.

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there Kathy!! I'm always thinking of you and how you are going to battle through this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just saw this..sorry for all you are going through.
    I am remembering that Dad had a platelet problem which I think made his blood too thick and prone to increased clotting when he had his leg problem. The only reason I mention it is that I wondered if there could be some genetic sort of predisposition to this when the body is stressed with chemicals etc.. Just a thought... plus.. maybe you already have thought of this..
    take care,
    Annette

    ReplyDelete