New Me!

New Me!

Thursday, February 9, 2012

February 9, 2012 - Update on chemo drugs

February 9th - Here is what I found out today in regards to the chemo drugs that I will be taking for the next 16 weeks:
Paclitaxel (Taxel) - used to treat cancer by blocking cell growth.
ABT 888 - is an investigational drug - not yet approved by the FDA.  It's a molecule that prevents proteins from interacting with other proteins in cells.  By preventing these interactions the cancer cells may stop growing.
Carboplatin - is approved by the FDA.  It's a molecule that binds to DNA and stops cancer cells from growing.
Giving all 3 drugs together may help kill more cancer cells.  The ABT888 and the Carboplatin are 'extra' chemo drugs that are given through the clinical trial that I am participating in. The Paclitaxel is the chemo drug commonly given.

After that I go on the AC drug - which is Doxorubicin used to treat cancer by killing cells and Cyclophosphamide is used to treat cancer by slowing or stopping cell growth.  This I will have every two weeks for 4 treatments. 

I stopped at the office today to see my coworkers.  They are having a Valentine's basket raffle in my honor and I was completely overwhelmed, to say the least.  There were 15-16 wonderful baskets made  -  they are SO AWESOME!!  I can't even explain.  I have the best group of coworkers, EVER!! Love you ALL!!



1 comment:

  1. You shouldn't be too surprised, you are always there for us an amazing person and friend. Next time you stop by don't forget us on the 2nd floor :) We want to see you too.

    ReplyDelete